Finished arrows in the sun

Equipment Review – Goblin Snot Paint

Goblin Snot paints

Goblin Snot paints

Okay, so this is not one of the most pleasant sounding products I have encountered, but if you can look past the name you can have pretty decent paint.
Lee Ankers of Heritage Longbows was kind enough to provide me with same sample colours (pink, white, orange and purple) to try out. There are obviously other colours but these would prove to provide a good selection as it offered both light colours and darker shades. If you check out their website for full colour list of what is available. (https://www.heritagelongbows.com/).
Before I applied them to the shafts that would become arrows I tried the paints out on some off cuts to get used to applicator and how many coats might be needed.
Samples after one coat

Samples after one coat

I did have a play at applying the paint to a pre varnished shaft, which worked petty well giving an even coat but it didn’t seem to adhere as well. I did find if I then applied a couple of coats of clear varnish over the top it did protect the paint.
I applied the paints to the bare wooden Port Orford Cedar shafts, after giving them a quick sand to remove any dust of rough patches.
First stage - orange being applied

First stage – orange being applied

Since Sharon wanted two contrasting colours on her arrows, I used masking tape to avoid me covering areas I wanted to cover in a different colour and to form an edge.
Second stage with the pink being applied

Second stage with the pink being applied

Firstly I have to admit I really like the purple. I’ve never been a huge fan of the colour in the past, but it works well for contrast. I’ve made up a few arrows with purple cresting and bright yellow fletchings and they work really well, as the contrast means you can see the arrows in flight and stand out in a number of target faces really well.
Bit dark, but purple shaft with bat wing fletching

Bit dark, but purple shaft with bat wing fletching

The orange and purple go on very easily and after a couple of coats, you can a good deep colour and covering. The white and pink need a little more work, taking three to four coats to get a consistent covering, which is expected really as being a lighter colour.
I’ve included a few photos of the arrows I made up for Sharon with the pink and orange as these happen to be matching to her fletching colours. The orange had two coats and the pink three or four.
I left the paint to dry for a couple of hours between coats, giving a very light sanding to ensure a clean smooth surface for each of the coats.
The paint goes on easily enough, once you get the hang of using the applicator, which has a sponge on the top of the bottle.
One tip is not to squeeze the bottle to much as you’ll end up with loads coming out. (Yes, this happened to me and fortunately I had put some old newspaper down just in case as I have been know to make a slight mess).
I’ve varnished with a clear acrylic varnish from a local model / hobby craft store.
Close up of a couple of finished arrows

Close up of a couple of finished arrows

Another tip would be to take your time when applying to make sure you have an even application.
Finished arrows in the sun

Finished arrows in the sun

Overall I think they work pretty well, being easy to apply and drying evenly.
Thanks for reading.
Autumnal sunlight through the trees

New bow style – example of people power

I’m typing this up half watching the snow fall in giant flakes outside, and on a skiing holiday and half looking at the screen. It seems holidays are only time I have at present to catch up with my writing.

Anyway onto topic for today. Some of you may remember that a few months back I wrote an article on a proposal that was going forward to the NFAS on an new bow style “Traditional Bow hunter”. I’ve added a link to the article here.

Well the results are in from the members vote, drum roll please … it has been accepted and will become active from the 1st of April from what I understand.
I know the proposers have come under some flack from some other archers for the idea, with comments ranging from “just wanting a new class so they can win medals“, or “why can’t they just shoot under bare bow“. Some of you may have read Grizzly Jims posts on Facebook and Tumblr on the subject.
Whether you area fan of the new style or dislike the idea of another style is not the key point I want to highlight.
I feel that the most important factor is that the society has actively demonstrated democracy in action. It is very easy to have a pop at organisers of a shoot or the society committee, but where the NFAS are concerned they are all, the organisers at local shoots and committee are volunteers, unpaid volunteers.
In this incidence we have seen a group of members, get together with an idea. They followed all the processes of documenting and put it forward as a proposal. The idea was published in the society magazine and at the society’s Annual General meeting people had the opportunity to voice ideas and thoughts, along with on the Facebook group and web-boards. It this was then opened to the society members to vote on it. The members voted and the results in this case a new bow class.
This is democracy in action. The members put it forward, the members voted.
So congratulations to those that took the time to actively participate and thanks to the society organising committee for their efforts.
Oh and if you are curious, I’m not looking at changing to this over American flat bow.
Thanks for reading.