Last Sunday we headed north to Lyme Valley shoot grounds outside Stoke on Trent. Due to the extensive road works on the motorway and the 50 mph speed limit we seemed to take ages to get there arriving to find the field already full of archers’ cars. A clear sign of the shoots popularity. Here is a link to their past shoots.
The course was a mix of 3d and paper faces with a couple of new 3d targets I don’t recall seeing before. There were 36 targets in total, unlike last time though they were all in the wood and none in the field.
We started on target 30; a down hill 3d bear that was trickier than first looked. I think we didn’t stop joking and laughing all day . The course only problem we had was when Sharon’s rest broke about 7 targets in and she had to fit a replacement.
Lunch break was between 12:30 – 1:15 after which saw us return to a tricky uphill shot at a 3D turkey. Lyme Valley operates a lunch break where all shooting stops to allow archers safely off the course for lunch. To be fair I think it would be very hard for them to do a shoot through due to the woodland shape being along a long narrow valley.
Over lunch and chatting to others we discovered there had been a problem at the opposite end of the woodland which had stopped archers shooting for a short time but we were unaware of.
The mix of targets and distances was good though I think the crocodile was a little on the far side as you were aiming at its side.
There was a great shot across the stream to a 3D bedded large deer that I completely misread resulting in a third arrow as my first and second landed in the mud in front.
I think something that could improve peoples’ enjoyment of the shoot and save on broken arrows is if when the course layers dig out the bank for a shot they put either a boss or thick foam behind. They could camouflage it easily enough with undergrowth etc. The reason I mention this is that both Sharon and I broke the piles off a couple of arrows when we skimmed the top of 3ds and went into the bank.
To be fare the course layers must have worked really hard to get in some of the shots so credit to them for that.
The large grizzly bear up against the tree was another shot which made you think about which angle to take.
Overall it was a good challenging course with a couple of shots that could have been improved with modification to peg position and consideration of overshoots.
Thanks for reading.
Pingback: A year in review | My Archery Experiences
Pingback: Shoot Report – Lyme Valley – August 2016 | My Archery Experiences