The vast majority of us are responsible archers, by this I mean we clean up after ourselves and don’t leave rubbish cluttering up the woods.
So if we break arrows we take the bits home, but if these bits are broken carbon arrows we don’t want carbon splinters in our quiver.
I think this is potentially the most useful of the non-normal uses for micropore tape the sort you might have in your first aid kit. I also think this is good for all archers to know whether they shoot carbon arrows or not.
Micropore Tape – how useful
When carbon arrows break it can result in very sharp splinters (splinters that aren’t picked up in x-rays and can be very hard to extract). On a side note I find it is amazing how few people realise the potential issues of getting these in your skin.
If I find a broken carbon arrow I will wrap tape round the end and down the shaft if required, so protecting myself from any splinters, before putting in my quiver for disposal later.
Broken Carbon arrow wrapped in tape close up
This means I’m less likely to have splinters in my quiver or worse me. I use the same technique on aluminium arrows when they break so the sharp edges don’t catch on the quiver or me. Hope this is of use.
Okay so as many of you know I make a lot of arrows and if truith be known I quite like it. I find the process of making them relaxing a lot of the time. The thing is I tend to make wooden arrows and not many with aluminium or carbon shafts these days since Sharon swapped back from shooting barebow to shooting woods.
Well I’ve been making up some club training arrows in readiness for some new courses we are running in January. They are Mybow Cadets from Merlin Archery and I’ll be posting a review of the arrows in a few months, but in the meantime I thought I’d share this tip. It was one given to me by Steve a fellow Briar Rose club member who is very experienced in shooting barebow and making up such arrows.
When making them I noticed the nock tends to rotate in the shaft, making it a bit tricky at times when mounting them on the fletching jig. Now you could add a drop of glue to secure them, but Steve suggested using cling film. Yes, the stuff that normally covers your supermarket produce.
If you wrap the end of the nock that fits into the shaft with a little film and then insert the nock it provides a tighter fit whilst still allowing some movement for alignment purposes.
The amount required varies but with a little trial and error I found a length of 5 to 6 cm and about 12 mm wide worked best. Wrapped tightly round the end that fits in the shaft and it seems to work pretty well.
Well I hope this helps, let me know how it works for you or if you have any other advice or such fixes. My thanks to Steve for the tip.