Shoot Report – Centaura- September 2014

Club house with trees behind just turning.

Club house with trees behind just turning.

Over a hundred and twenty archers joined us on a sunny Sunday morning for the Pete Bates Trophy Shoot. We had good weather though you can feel the autumnal nip in the early morning air starting with the leaves just beginning to turn behind the club house.
Centaura has a small wood situated not far from Derby with a course made up of a mix of a few 3d targets but mostly paper faces.
Our shooting group comprised Neil and Mandy from Forest of Arden, joined Sharon and myself.
Our First target was a red squirrel between the trees and I must admit that I did wonder if was going to be a good start.
First Target Of Day - Red squirrel

First Target Of Day – Red squirrel

In fact the day flowed well with few hold ups and there was a very relaxed atmosphere not dissimilar to the wooden arrows shoot they ran a few months back (shoot report can be found here).
In fairness I think we might have started on the small targets as the first 7-8 targets were mostly group fours including the red squirrel, jay, reflective duck, and Partridge.

Duck target

Duck target

The course is situated in mix leaf deciduous woodland with mostly flat terrain,  though there is the quarry section which will see going up and down there steps and presents the opportunity fir some nice down hill shots.

Deer target

Deer target

Due to the nature of the course Centaura operates a lunch break of an hour which gave archers ample time to enjoy the sunshine and have a bite to eat. Sadly the long lunch break did have a negative impact on my shooting as it a while for me to get back into the swing of things again.

Paper face Hare

Paper face Hare

By lunch we had shot 19 targets and had finished shooting the course by 3:30.

Paper face tiger target

Paper face tiger target

Congrats to fellow club members Stephen Parsons and Chris Harley on placing. Congrats also to Sharon who won ladies hunting tackle.

Sadly I only managed second in hunting tackle with a score of 654 30 points behind first. Well done Roger. Guess it’s not too bad considering in the last week I’ve fitted a new string with 2 less strands, made some new arrows, started a new glove, set a different bracing height for the string and obviously had to set a  nocking point.
Only criticism of the course was I think they could have put a wider selection of target faces as there were a number of repeats. With the selection of faces on the market I don’t think clubs need to repeat any.
In all though it was a good shoot and a good day. Thanks to all the club and I’m sure Pete would have been proud of you all.
As always thanks for reading.

Exhausting weekend but nearly there…

Not touched bow this weekend a few arrows of the directional variety. Have spent 2 long days at the wood redesigning the course in readiness for our October shoot. With the season changing from late summer to early autumn work starts in earnest.

spiderwebs

spider web in trees

We are hosting a 36 target mixed 3d and paper faces shoot in a couple of weeks and been planning new shots routes round wood etc. for last few weeks. This weekend saw us set the course and have it agreed by the safety officers at the club.

SVYF split the wood into two courses A and B and we (Steve, Tom, Sharon, Mary and I) were doing A course. This would mean setting 18 sets of target pegs and bosses. I’m afraid I can’t show you any photos of the course as yet, so here are a few of the amazing spider webs we found round the wood.

another spider web

another spider web this time overhead

We had a very heavy dew on Sunday and everywhere was cloaked in mist and fog. This also coated the webs in dew.

hedgerow spiderwebs

hedgerow spiderwebs

Amazingly we had all the bosses in by Saturday night leaving Sunday free for the course inspection, path clearing and signage. By 3 pm we had it open and our first club archers testing it. This is really useful as it gives us a week of the course being shot which should identify any issues.

It’s not yet 100% as still needs tweaks and couple of new paths cleared and foot bridges finished / repaired but we have next weekend for that. Next weekend we finalise the 3d targets and target faces so come the day before the shoot we can concentrate on erecting arrow nets and final target placements.

Big thanks to all that gave up their time and put so much effort in this weekend. (yes Chris that means you and Keith, and everyone else. Not forgetting Mr Strong Robin. Maybe next time, don’t wear a Mr Man T-shirt with Mr Strong on it)

Thanks